Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Soul Vampire

I think of Ayn Rand lately as more of a soul-vampire than author/philosopher. I don't want to sound over the top, I am really only speaking from my own personal experience. She is the Ellsworth Toohey of reason - or really, just a Toohey who thought she was being rational, whereas her character from The Fountainhead was apparently being more honest with himself in his philosophy. Rather than describe himself as a proponent of reason, he propounded its exact opposite. Rand propounded its exact opposite under the guise of reason.

3 comments:

Ifat Glassman said...

Dude, you have some serious problems. I suggest psychotherapy to investigate why you are experiencing such feelings.

My guess is self doubt? Ayn Rand was confident - it drives insecure people nuts because they can't stand seeing what they lack. That's why all the hate - it is actually self-hatred.

I read through your posts and thought maybe you are just confused but no, this one shows hatred, not confusion.

Cavewight said...

This is one of the reasons Rand wrote an essay on the psychology of psychologism: It's wrong when non-Objectivists engage in it. The very title of the essay indicates that Rand was just as guilty of it, but somehow, since it was Rand there's no problem. And her fans all think they're as "good" as Ayn Rand, in other words, they believe themselves also to be above and beyond reproach simply by association.

Cavewight said...

Ifat,

I took this sample of your writing to http://iwl.me/. The analysis there reports that you write like David Foster Wallace.

You are probably wondering, "What's the relevance?" But that's exactly what I ask you. Where is the relevance to my comments in saying that I need psychotherapy, etc.? There is none.